Saturday, August 22, 2009

Yikes - a week without an update

Busy, busy. We were so excited this week to see family (my nephew took Grand Champion for his turkey at the county fair thank you very much!) We had a good week with our homeschool group meeting new friends who are also new members. We had a good week with our Diana Waring curriculum, and with starting our nature study. Now, to just wrap up a highlight so that hopefully next week I'll be back on track posting daily!

Monday - fair day! As if all of the fun fair things weren't enough, we also got in a fair amount of nature study in the car. Yes, in the car! The kid noticed that there were these sacs hanging in trees as we drove. We looked, photographed, and generally squealed over what we realized were egg sacs in webs. We just happened to have our handy Handbook of Nature Study by Comstock in the car so that I could thumb through it. Out it came, reading ensued, and before you know it the kid learned quite a bit about the Orb Weaver spider and those very ghostly looking egg sacs hanging from the trees. (Little spider babies hatch in them and eat their siblings until it's time to hatch out into the world. The strongest survive. How would you like that kind of family dynamic?)

Tuesday - lots of reading. One part that I love about our DW curriculum is that during the first few weeks she can throw herself into books that she loves. She's reading several on dinosaurs (I'll update the reading list later) and on Darwin. Interesting stuff. Definitely read Darwin's Demise.

Wednesday - something. Can't remember. Must look at journal. :) Oh - we introduced Logic into our daily schedule. SO much FUN! I'll write a post about that alone later. Good stuff. Very good stuff.

Thursday - Park day! We did get some lessons done, but we also went to a very fun local park that has both public art and water to play in. It was the last of the summer park days for our homeschool group, and it was the best! We met new friends, talked about the upcoming year, and just generally had a good time. The kid ran after with the dad, so I had time to work on our new workbox system. Yes, another post in deed.

Friday - Reading, math, history, lots of science, and many other things. I was out and about, but the new workbox system worked well while I was gone. DH was able to see what she needed to work on, and DD knew as well. I love the visual nature. Again, another post.

I think that is a quick update that brings me current. Look for good details on Monday! The local school system starts back next week so our fall schedule is finally underway. I love summer so very much but I also crave the routine that fall brings. This is my favorite time of year... the weather and sun of summer combined with the routine of fall. From late August to (sometimes) early October I'm in my element. Plus, it leads right into the season of pretty leaves. What could be better? Oh yeah, the first week of summer. :)

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

I remember when we used to do 4-H. Fair was an incredibly busy, but rewarding time.

Wild Homeschool Family said...

Sounds like a very full and fun week!

Char said...

Shame on you for not posting sooner! LOL !!!! :)
Your week sure was full! I saw a whole bunch of those Orb Weaver spider nests this weekend! Now I know what they are. I might have to get Comstocks book for our car - just in case.
I'm waiting for the local schools to open so that the neighbor kid will stop knocking on my door every hour of every day asking to play! hehe! It'll be nice to not have to "babysit" him until next summer. HA!

Wild Homeschool Family said...

I think you need to change the title to this blog to.........Our Month By Month. No updates???
Ducking....running fast! I couldn't resist though!

Cynthia said...

Stephanie, I can't find an email address to contact you. You've won the Blue Like Playdough book and I'd like to get it off from my desk so if you can email me your address ASAP that would be great. If I don't hear from you in the next week or so I'll have to pass it on to someone else.